Wednesday, May 17, 2006
Where did I come from?
So, a couple of weeks ago, Sara and I went to the California Poppy Festival (by the way, pathetic lack of poppies this year due to rainfall, climate, etc.). It is held in Lancaster every year and though I've been to see the poppies, in years where they have covered the entire valley, I've never been to the festival. So we went.

We saw many "arts" and "crafts" at the festival. Unfortunately, many of them looked like this. If you are going to be a grandma or grandpa. DON'T DO THIS!!! People will barf on your lawn. Your children will roll their eyes in to the back of their heads until they stay there! Your grandchildren will cover their cheeks on their way in your front door!

My mother is going to be a grandmother for the first time with the birth of my sister and brother-in-law's new baby who we are calling Ace for the time being. These signs immediately reminded me of my mother and I took a picture to show my sister.

If you know me, you know my mother is a bit nuts. My mother thinks that if a piece of jewelry is good, well then, 25 pieces of jewelry (and I'm not kidding folks) is way better. My mother also has a bit of a shopping problem. She thinks that if she hasn't been shopping, it's a major problem (har).

So when my sister told her that she was pregnant, she went out (at 9:30 p.m. people) to Borders to buy every baby item in the store. THEN (!) she went home, went online and bought every baby-related USC item there is to own. She has also purchased a gigantic ceramic piggy bank as a college fund (did I tell you about my mom's pig fetish?), grandma and grandpa t-shirts and though she has threatened to buy mommy, daddy and auntie t-shirts, we have managed to fend off that splurge (maybe an auntie mug? No, mom! No auntie mugs!).

Anyway, my mom has her faults (and don't we all?) and obviously my rebellion involved solid colors, low drama and simple jewelry (wooo! hooo!).

Labels:

Stumble It!


4 Comments:

Blogger Uccellina said...

Wow. She makes my mother's collecting habits sound sane.

Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

:) Actually, I like the hyper kenetic types that always make me feel like I'm moving in slo-mo.

OH! I know!!! You can get an "Auntie Purl" mug!!!!

Blogger Elizabeth McClung said...

Isn't Borders a book store? The first thing she did was buy out the baby section of a book store - actually that's kinda cool - if you tell her you got a new computer, any chance she would go out buying you software?

Blogger Faith said...

Uccellina - that's just mom - dad's a certified hoarder!

MG - I already bought myself an auntie purl totebag

Elizabeth - unfortunately, she's not much for the practical. She's way more into the tchotchke stuff. If I told her I got a new computer she'd get me a cutsie mouse pad and one of those fuzzy monitor covers. That's my mom...

Post a Comment

<< Home