Thursday, May 11, 2006
Word to the muthas
This shout out is to Annika, Shannon, Allison, Sara, and x – you know who you are. These are the soon to be hot mamas currently in my life, pregnant for the first time – unless Annika has given birth since her last post.


It is also to Jill, Kristin, Kathie, Terry (congratulations hon!!!), Jef, Carmella, Heather, the mamas and papa/mama in my life that are raising little people already.

You all are amazing. I have heard stories of morning sickness and midwives, c-sections and acid reflux. Pumping, not pumping, sodium issues, fruit issues, sugar issues, and husband issues. Crazy birth mothers, crazy nutritionists and wonderful judges. I’m not sick of it yet.

I have heard an unbelievable number of stories of mothers-in-law, friends and utter strangers insisting, nay, demanding that you must use this pump, sign up for this class, make this sacrifice, else you are a neglectful mother.

In susceptible moments some of you have internalized one or two of these messages; believing that you will be the worst mother on earth. You have also, in brilliant moments of self-knowledge, blown these people off as full of bullshit. As my brother-in-law likes to say, babies are born every day to women on crack. None of you (as far as I know) is on crack - so blue cheese be damned, I think you're all doing pretty fuckin' well.

Some of your babies have only just started to look less like blobs of protoplasm and more like little human blobs. Some of you don’t quite yet want to acknowledge that. Some of you have babies causing holy terror in your home and haven’t quite acknowledged it yet. It's ok. Denial is a great thing. It keeps you from becoming one of the crazies yourself.

I’ll never be pregnant, by choice first and by biology second. I'm an incredibly honored auntie and, I can’t imagine ever being tired of listening to you all. You’re making lungs and feet and personalities in there.
How can anything beat that?
Stumble It!


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be sure to appreciate your own Mom Faith.

Blogger Annika said...

I'm still pregnant! And I think you are pretty awesome.

Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

You can have the wee MonkeyGurl. She's done with me and would probably get along much better with you.

I, for my part, will willingly take over any blobs or near blobs that are available. Annika? Can I have your baby?

Boy, that sounded weird.

Blogger ~drew emborsky~ said...

I think I just saw you on Knitty Gritty! I jumped up and yelled I know her! Of course no one was around to hear me and the cats totally ignored me. But it was cool nonetheless!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My real mom was a midwife and when we lived at the hippie place, they all smoked pot during tough deliveries to loosen everyone up. Yup. Pot. My mom also said a good dark beer or a red wine in the last bit of pregnancy was good for a woman. And that she recommended having sex up and until the baby popped out LOL. And yet, all those pot-smoking alkie kids with nympho hippie parents turned out just fine.

So, really. I agree. People should keep their horror preggers stories to themselves. ;)

Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Babies have been born for centuries without modern notions and the population has flourished. Draw your own conclusions.

And I have to jump on Faith's bandwagon and appreciate all the women out there having babies or adopting them and taking on the hardest job ever. I am humbled in your presence.

Post a Comment

<< Home