Wednesday, May 16, 2007
Want your child to have an eating disorder? Ask me how!
Paris Hilton, on her way to the hoosegow and Nicole Richie, who apparently needed IV fluids while filming are doing a stint as camp counselors on The Simple Life beginning May 28th on E!.

Every moral fiber of my being is screaming that this is not entertainment but child abuse. Here I come to find that not only are they going to be leading activities for the little campers but some of those kids will be part of, as Paris has described it, "a fat camp".

Now, the camp has said, unequivocally it is not a "fat camp", rather, it is a fitness and weight loss camp. All I know is that if the activities of the camp include exercise classes, monitored nutrition and weigh ins, there might be some semantics we can heave about but we all know what it is.

So here we have kids, I'm gonna assume somewhere around puberty.

They're not in the best shape.

They may have been bribed to go to this "fitness camp" by parents concerned about their lack of physical activity.

Perhaps they were teased at school and desperately want to go back in September looking like Josh Hartnett or...um...Paris Hilton.

Send in the clowns.

Here is Nicole, passing out of starvation assisting CHILDREN (!!!!!!!!) to deal with their body image and fitness. No. I don't think she's a role model. No.

I do think she, a wealthy, popular figure who has been in recovery for anorexia nervosa and hasn't quite made it to the other side yet, will share an unintended message with these kids. Your fat is ugly - hate your body the way it is. Being thin is wonderful - be thin and be popular and famous.

Or maybe it's just transference. That's the message I got.

It's already been filmed and is in the can so there is no amount of calling of studio execs that is going to undo this mess. I desperately hope that Ms. Richie and Ms. Hilton, not to mention E! and Bunim/Murray have their liability waivers in hand.

Additionally, every parent who signed a waiver should have to attend parenting classes. Particularly classes on parenting your eating disordered child. Get the Renfrew sign-ups ready, there's a whole new pack of enlistees.

Labels: ,

Stumble It!


8 Comments:

Blogger Fluffycat said...

I have a good friend whose mother sent her to "fat camp" every summer, and not only did she not lose weight, she always found out the best ways to hide her eating. I can't imagine someone who would be less able to motivate someone than a waif-like celebrity with so many issues.

I often wonder if people just sign themselves and their kids up for crap like this because they'll do anything to be on TV.

Blogger WineGrrl said...

That show sounds just depressing.

Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Those two should not be allowed near healthy well-adjusted children, let alone kids with body image issues. Whose bright idea was that?

Blogger goodmamajama said...

I fucking hate our society.

Jane

Blogger Susan said...

This is absolutely horrifying. And damaging. I am so disgusted, I don't even know what to say.

Blogger Faith said...

Fluffycat -

I know wherefrom your friend speaks. There is a history behind my bulimia and let me tell you, it's not because I like barfing.

Blogger Marg B said...

You are not the only one fuming with nausea and anger about this program. Those poor kids; as if they don't have enough issues and stigma in their lives... it is so irresponsible on every level.

Blogger Psychomom said...

The only good thing I can think of to say about those two is...
...
....wait, I'm still thinking....
...
nevermind.

Post a Comment

<< Home