Monday, February 11, 2008
Little lady strikes again!
I'm a little sore this morning.

Here's why.

It looks so nice and tiny and easy to maneuver when it's a photo.

It isn't nice or tiny or easy to maneuver. I had to rent a truck to get it home. I had to learn how to turn on the drive shaft while the cutter blade was vibrating the 330 pound machine. I had to open the choke and tilt the blade and then I ripped up my entire back lawn.

Did I mention how much I hate Bermuda grass?

When I went into the home improvement store to ask about rental on Saturday and then to rent and return it on Sunday the words, "Little Lady" were at the tip of everyone's tongue in each of their smirking faces.

For instance,

Me: "Excuse me, where do I go to rent a sod cutter?"
Home Improvement Store Employee: "You're going to rent a sod cutter?" (little lady)

Me: "I'd like to rent a sod cutter."
HISE: "Well, that's very ambitious" (little lady)

Big construction guy renting some other equipment: "Are ya building something?" (little lady)
Me: "Nope, I just do demolition." (asshat)

Ultimately, I got it home, got a trench dug up, read the instructions, started up the engine and within about 2 1/2 hours, the back lawn was no more.

Damn it. I knew I could do it. And I needed to prove to myself that I could. Frankly, if I didn't do all the things I was scared of or was unsure of, I'd never make curtains or put up hallowe'en decorations...in fact, I'd never write a blog post or make dinner if I had to be completely certain about what I was doing.

It is by no means perfect. I missed a couple of spots that I'm going to have to go at with a shovel but overall - not a bad day of work for a total amateur little lady.

Labels: , , ,

Stumble It!


13 Comments:

Blogger Jeanne said...

Uch. Reminds me of the time I went shopping for my very own compound miter saw because I was about to tackle room #2 of Pergo installation with room #3 looming on the horizon. After I factored in the rental price, it made sense to just buy one. The nice boy helping me choose one could not help mentioning how it might improve my dating prospects: all I must do is mention to the guy that I have a Ridgid Model blah blah blah 12" compound miter saw with laser precision and he'll be drooling.

*extreme sigh* Yeah. Right. I bought it as Man Bait.

Blogger Sara said...

Good for you! What a great feeling of accomplishment,"little lady."

Blogger AmberSwan said...

Way to go, Little Lady!

Were you at Lowe's by any chance? It was there that my friend was told (veerryyy ssllooowwllyy) to get her "little skew number" or they wouldn't be able to match the paint we have in the bathroom at the salon.

I never knew having a vagina and having a brain were mutually exclusive. *eyeroll*

Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Man, men!
My worst experience was actually when my then husband had to sail a boat up to the next big port while in Mexico, as the captain had hurt himself...leaving poor, defenseless little me all by myself in our sailboat...

I got bugged EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. "d'ya need anything?" (little lady) "R U gonna be alright?" "We're just a yell away" "Do you need us to anchor closer to you..."

They nearly had heart attacks when I said was going to pull up anchor and sail my boat up to meet my then husband...ALL. BY. MY. SELF.

It's really hard on them when you don't fit the stereotypes, you know.

Blogger K8 said...

Go you :) Way to show them what a "little lady" could do :)

Blogger WineGrrl said...

Sometimes "little ladies" are a lot tougher than "big strong men!"

You showed 'em!

Blogger Faith said...

Jeanne - Ha! I love it. Miter saw as "man bait!"

Amberswan - FYI, it wasn't Lowe's, it was Home Depot. But I can imagine the exact same thing happening at Lowes. In fact, I spend a lot of time there and every time I leave the gardening and/or lighting sections, I get looks.

Tactless - that is so typical. I mean, there is nothing that prevents a guy from getting out there and sailing alone...whatever.

Sara, K8 and Winegrrl, thanks!!! I just feel like pullin' out mah parasol and havin' a faintin' spell now!

Blogger indianafuji said...

Right on, Little Lady! I'm glad you showed 'em :) Sounds like you're going to have an awesome garden. I wish I lived in a temperate climate (and had a yard) so I could get some produce this summer.

Blogger Terri said...

From one "little lady" to another, you rock! Thank you for reminding me that is is OK to tell the overall clad man to put that thing in the truck so I can get busy. No "my husband" and hair flip needed.

Blogger Emily Cole said...

Great job! I know you're proud of yourself for getting that done. I worked for a landscaping company for a couple of years, and it was always a 'look' or a 'hmm' or 'ma'am' (we're in the south)whatever that made the hair on my neck raise. I didn't take any crap from the guys that worked for me (2 mexican guys - they were REALLY great!), or anyone else! I think if someone had called me 'Miss' or 'Ma'am' more than once I would have cut them off at the knees. I can drive a forklift, skid steer, and wrangle a big mower or tiller with the best of them. I just want to say from one bad-ass woman to another, good job!

Blogger geogrrl said...

Faith, I'm so proud of you! "Little Lady", indeed.

I find that when I start these types of projects, fully intending to do the work myself--because I am capable--some well meaning guy steps in and offers to do the work for me. (Happened to my mother, too, when she was changing a flat.) And I think, "Why not let him do the work if he really wants to?" I suppose I shouldn't, but I do.

Blogger Viva Scrapper! said...

DUDE! I fucking hate the "little lady" treatment...I got into it at an auto parts store because they refused to believe I was buying parts for MY OWN TRUCK!

Blogger epigirl said...

Yeah, I'm familiar with that treatment. I think I remember it best from when my mom and I rented a jackhammer when I was in high school. We wanted to uninstall a basketball hoop that was anchored in the ground by cement. And we did it all by ourselves...just 2 "little ladies"!

Also, I just wanted to say "hello". I have been following your blog for a couple of months now and have not yet commented...but I really enjoy reading!

Post a Comment

<< Home