Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Panic at the Disco
Last week and this week have been very difficult for me, both in my personal and my professional life.

Last Monday I arrived at work with an email (6:30 a.m.) that foretold a huge crisis. I spent every second of work last week trying to repair major damage and head off further crisis. I continue this week in crisis management.

Thankfully, the problem was due to an error made by the institution. While that affected my work it was not caused by anything that my staff and I did. In fact, our great work prevented this from being an even larger problem within our research group.

I also had a personal issue which I won't go into but pretty much rocked my boat and was/is very unexpected and distressing.

Having said both of these things I also need to disclaim, none of this has to do with my lovely house or my incredible husband who has been a great listener, not to mention an incredible partner. On the job front, good things will (eventually) come of this horrible situation.

Needless to say, all of this cannot happen in one's life within the span of 2 days without some adverse events. Mine has been primarily anxiety. Up the proverbial wazoo.

I have since:
  • Pulled out one ugly ass rose bush
  • Winter pruned all of my other, beautiful rose bushes
  • Pulled out the grass from my plant beds (one blade at a time)
  • Begun manually tilling my entire back lawn with one of these things. It's very therapeutic. And a little obsessive compulsive (not that the grass pulling isn't, mind you). BTW - I am covered in blisters

In the meantime, I am reminding myself that anxiety is not dangerous -- it’s just uncomfortable and that when this is over, I’ll be glad that I did it.

My mantra for the week.

Wish me luck.

Labels:

Stumble It!


8 Comments:

Blogger fleecyknits said...

I have a blackberry bush that needs to be pulled out - would you like to have a go at it? ;-) Seriously, sorry to hear about all the bad stuff. My mantra for days like that is "this too shall pass." Or the old favorite, one day at a time.

Thinking of you. :-)

Blogger Sara said...

Sorry crappyness is all around. If you need to vent, I'm just a phone call away.

(hugs)

Blogger Kath said...

Ehhh...sorry for your stress and anxiety but glad to see you are finding healthy, productive ways of dealing with it. Anxiety can be dangerous when it's internalized and not expressed (ask me how I know this?) or when it is expressed in unhealthy ways (again, ask me how I know this?). So - battling the garden is good!

Things get better. They may take longer than you'd like them to, but they do get better.

Blogger dale-harriet said...

Here's another mantra for you - I find it best recited over a new teddy bear: "It's never too late for a Happy Childhood!" Repeat every three hours (3 being a magic number) and select a friendly teddy bear - mine run to the Big-Nose-Beady-Eyes sort. Also - Mazel Tov on winning over the fierce roseweed!

Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

How nice that your stress and anxiety has expressed itself in landscape design. Farmer Faith is on the loose!

Blogger Felicia said...

I'll send some positive thoughts your way to rid you of the stress :)

Blogger Susan said...

I'm thinking of you!

Blogger Orangeblossoms said...

Damn! I wish my anxiety and grief made me as productive as yours! I'm holding out for better days for you, Faith. And, I am very glad you have the support you need. Best, as always...

Post a Comment

<< Home