Monday, January 14, 2008
Root by root
There is this ugly-ass rose bush on my side yard. It's totally diseased and really prickly. It's not a standard rose. It's like a rose weed. I hate it.

Yesterday I started hacking at it, just to cut it back so I wouldn't have to see it.

Then I figured, well, if I cut it back, it'll just grow again. So I starting pulling at it. Not a budge.
I thought, this is ridiculous. I'm never going to get this whole thing out.

I kept finding myself saying things like: "I can't do this." and then I got angry that a stupid, ugly bush could be stronger than me and it made me more and more determined.

Then I started digging around it. I swear the roots were like a tree down there. I suddenly realized the roots were much deeper than I thought. I suspected they might have gone all the way under the house. I thought, "this is too much. I'm not strong enough." But I kept digging and pulling and I dug and pulled until finally I got one root.

And I got tired and dizzy because it was hot out (yes, HOT out) and I was dehydrated so I went inside and got some OJ. And after some fuel I went back out and started hacking at it again. Hacking and pulling. Root by root. And I got some more roots. And then some more.

Finally, within about two hours, I got that damn bush out of my side yard.

And how sore am I right now? But how satisfied do you think I am?

Metaphor much?

Labels:

Stumble It!


6 Comments:

Blogger Margo said...

Good for you!! Feels good doesn't it?? :)

Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Yay you. And neener-neener to that stickly, prickly, in-the-green-bin mess!!

Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

i love this metaphor.

Blogger geogrrl said...

Heh. Yup.

I'm always pleased and rather surprised when I accomplish something I thought I couldn't do. Mainly by keeping at it long after I want to quit.

Blogger Kath said...

Kudos! And it is so satisfying to struggle and succeed.

Blogger indianafuji said...

As my farmer cousins would say
AAAWRIGHT! (with a deep growl). You really put your back into getting that job done. Thanks for the fun posts :)

Post a Comment

<< Home