Wednesday, November 14, 2007
Vacation - All I ever wanted
In about 10 days I leave on my annual solo road trip. This year in my adorable new PT Cruiser.
Apparently, most solo road trippers are women.

Of course, my family (of origin) thinks I'm nuts to be driving around by myself and having breakfast alone in truck stops. I have never felt unsafe though.

I grew up here in L.A. and spent a year in Israel where I took a number of solo bus trips. In both places I have been verbally and physically assaulted enough to eventually figure out how to handle myself. I also think now that I'm not 17 (or 27 - or 35) anymore, I'm not quite the target I used to be (this makes me sad - not because I'm not 17 - heaven forfend - but because the younger you are the more at risk you are and that women are at risk at all...).

I also look like I can take care of myself. I wear boots. I walk with purpose. Important when you are alone in truck stops. I don't want to give all truckers a bad name either. There are some mighty nice truckers out there. People who were home trained. Then there are some that just want to see your tits. And they think you should want to show them. I've never understood it.

Back to the good stuff. I've already started my pre-planning. Oh, how I love lists!!!

For the car:
  • My iPod (as my Cruiser has a very fancy iPod jack!!!)
  • Maps
  • Water and snacks.
  • First aid kit.
  • Blanket and pillow. Just in case.
For the cabin:
  • an electric kettle for making oatmeal in the morning and cocoa at night.
  • a coffee mug for oatmeal and cocoa
For hiking:
  • boots
  • hats,
  • scarves,
  • gloves,
  • thermal undies
For my head:
The only thing I don't have yet...I'm actively trying to figure out a way to afford my dream camera before I leave. The old one - though she has seen me through the last 4 years - is not quite what she used to be.

Stops on the way:
  • Cameron, AZ (part of the Navajo reservation. This is a new one for me. I have been wanting to stop here but haven't yet.)
  • The Petrified Forest National Park and The Painted Desert - apparently this is super close to the Canyon and I've never seen it!!!
  • Williams, AZ (home of the Red Garter Bed and Bakery - a former bordello and now a very sweet bakery/bed and breakfast)
  • Kingman, AZ (there is one of the best thrift stores in the world - Bubbee's Goodz - owned by a big Jewish biker - I love this place. Also, there's a yarn store NEXT DOOR - but I don't really need anything here. I might just stop in to say hi to the nice biker dude.)
I will not have:
  • cell phone coverage (for most of the trip)
  • my laptop
  • obligations
  • a schedule
  • a care in the world.

Have you ever solo road tripped? What did you love? What did you not love? Where do you wish you could go?

Labels: , , ,

Stumble It!


5 Comments:

Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

I usually drive up to the San Jose/Santa Clara area for Stitches West every year. I'm not going this year, but I want to go somewhere alone! It's so nice to have your own schedule and do things on a whim without checking with anyone else!

I'm with you on this idea, Girlfriend. Have a fantastic trip!

Blogger æ said...

I've never solo road tripped (car trip)...but maybe it should be on my agenda. Really strong maybe.

And because of guilt, but mostly because of the safety reasons you listed here, it hasn't happened before.

But damn, sounds so good.

love,
ae

Blogger Anne said...

Your plans sound wonderful. I am rather jealous, but really do hope that you have an awesome time. You certainly deserve it!

Blogger WineGrrl said...

I take solo trips abroad on a regular basis. If I waited around for someone to go with me, then I'd never leave L.A.! I've "done" France and Italy and always felt pretty safe. Having said that, I do try to do sensible things (i.e. don't do anything I wouldn't do at home) to keep myself out of trouble or jail.

I've never done a road trip by myself, though....only because I don't like driving. Your plans do sound interesting...

Have Fun!

Blogger fibby said...

I've driven across the country four times, and was surprised to find that the most enjoyable trip was the one I did solo. I got to eat when I wanted, listen to the music I wanted to listen to, and generally set my own pace.

Your trip sounds wonderful - a great combination of dance parties in the car and communing with nature.

Can't wait to read about it once you're back home...

Post a Comment

<< Home