Thursday, November 08, 2007
One of those days

If you have made mistakes, even serious ones, there is always another chance for you. What we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford


Yesterday I had "one of those days" ™.


Everything in me wanted to numb out, make it go away... For me, that usually involves a binge, which ends in a purge which leads to me feeling shitty about myself (not to mention a sore throat, bad breath, shame and various other problems). This is a cycle that has been going on (and off and on) for almost 20 years.

The good news: I didn't. I didn't do any of that.

The better news: I found a slide show called the BMI Project that shows what bull crap the body mass index (BMI) actually is. The show includes snapshots of beautiful women (and a couple of men) of all kinds of shapes.

I want to imagine that none of the people in these photos hates her body. I want to believe that they are shame-free. I hope they grew up in homes where their body size was not a topic of discussion. Where how much they had on their plate was not scrutinized. I really hope they love their bodies exactly how they are in the photos. I want to be like them - like I imagine/hope they are.

I recommend watching it.

Highly.

Labels: ,

Stumble It!


4 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

Wow, I didn't think any of those women they labeled such was "morbidly obese." I thought they all look great - very stylish and clearly care for their appearance, whatever their lovely shape may be!

Blogger Faith said...

That is how the federal government labels people and it is completely out of touch with reality.

Blogger geogrrl said...

I had a look at that project, and when I get a chance I will send in my own photo.

At my present weight, I am at the low end of "obese". I've never been less than "overweight", no matter how thin I was.

I have issues with body image--not as serious as yours--but believe me, they've been there since my preteen years.

The thing that bugs me the most was my being called "fat". I look back at pictures of myself and I was never "fat".

My husband insists I am still not "fat", despite my technically being "obese".

Blogger dale-harriet said...

I watched too, and commented - I like ALL those folks. I'd like to meet ALL of 'em for a chinwag. (Well - in Moxie's case, a cuddle.) Here's the irony: now, in the 21st century, fresh fruits and vegetables and wholesome meats and all good things are available year-round in this country. Strawberries in November, lettuce in February....and the Department of They says that "beauty" is scrawny and wan. Yet in the Renaissance, when only the rich had FOOD year round (nevermind fresh or wholesome) the standard of beauty was rotund, buxom, yes - obese. "Rubenesque". It's just wrong. Also - believe me when I tell you, scrawny people *really* don't age well. And I'm of an age to know. Mark my words.

Post a Comment

<< Home