Tuesday, October 09, 2007
Get your hair did and your craft on
I have been a total flake.

Sorry.
(That's all the apology you're going to get.)

-----------------------------------

So, in the last couple of weeks I have found some new and noteworthy items that I just can't wait to tell you about.

First off is Frenchy's Beauty Parlor in Beautiful Downtown Burbank (thanks, Johnny, R.I.P.).

Here's the story.

It's Friday.

I'm annoyed that I have spent the entire damn day trying to convince "the bureaucracy" that two dying gay men won't get pregnant so I can get them drugs (I PROMISE GODAMMIT!!!).

I leave work.

I get into my fab-ass PT Cruiser and I am on Barham when I realize (not decide) I'm going to cut off all my hair.

I am on Olive Avenue when I realize I should have someone else do it for me and didn't I see that really freakin' cute pink beauty parlor on Magnolia only 1/2 mile from my house and catercorner to my fave bbq joint the famous (and independent) Handy Market?

I drive straight to Frenchy's.

I walk in and Striptease: From Gaslight to Spotlight is on the table.

They also have a stack of Barracuda magazine.

I am in the right place.

Every stylist in the joint has loads of ink, piercings and hair did to the nines - piled up chopped up ratted up pomped up.

One fab chick had cat-eye glasses, bright red hair in a big bouffy ponytail, a tattoo behind her ear and a lip piercing.

"I want her to do my hair!" went through my head but I didn't say anything because I had walked in and asked for someone (anyone!) to cut off my hair right NOW before I take my sewing shears to it.

Her name is Amber. She is smiling as she asks me to come have a seat. Yay!

Frenchy's is the only place I am ever going to have my hair did ever again and Amber is going to be the one to do it. Damn, is she awesome!

What a great place. Very friendly people, definitely not too cool to be nice, good prices, excellent cuts and fab reading material. What more could I possibly ask. Oh yeah - before your cut you have to pick out an essential oil for your scalp massage. Hea-ven.

Second.

Urban Craft Center
. LOVE.IT. The place is owned by one very cool chick (whose name I cannot freakin' remember! Please email me your name!). I went for a Gocco class - just what I needed! A new craft!

Anyway, the owner and manager were super-nice. This is a very big deal because what often happens is people will open a yarn store or another cool idea and I can't wait to go spend all of my hard earned green there and they are craftier-than-thou with a really shitty attitude (no names/places mentioned). These girls are not at all like that. They are fun and really friendly without knowing that I'm the moderator of SnB or any shit like that.

Anyway, this class was awesome and I can't wait to sign up for more!

Here's a sample of the work I did.
SO MUCH FUN!

Anyway, I'm back from self-imposed exile. Yay!

By the way my mother-in-law reads this blog and as I'm writing about getting my "hair did" and my "fab-ass" car, I'm thinking about her and what she might think. She was a journalist and my slang must grind a bit.

Sorry Fayenola!

Labels: , , , ,

Stumble It!


10 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

Your hair looks fabulous and so easy to "do" - like wash n' go... but you know people are gonna be asking for photos of YOU!

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Faith!

Thanks for checking out my blog; you're more-than-welcome to read the rest. Yours is much more entertaining and colorful than mine will ever be, though, so don't take a visit when you really want a hot Friday night out!

The ironic thing is that prior to your writing a message I had just gone to snoop at your profile. I didn't have time to actually read your stuff at the time, but your profile sparked interest enough for me to make a point to come back! Thanks for your good words/suggestion. I'll look forward to reading more about you....

gs

Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Wait - YOU are a(n) SnB moderator?! SAY IT AINT SO!!! :)

But I totally get you when it comes to sh*tty attitudes. And I'm happy to hear (read) that you didn't get it there. Funny, I got quite a bit of 'tude last time I went to SnB. I'm jus' sayin. . .

Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

LOVE your haircut! Frenchy's is very famous and popular among the rockabilly chicks, you know.

Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

mah burlesque people love frenchys.

perhaps i will get a haircut again someday. :)

Blogger Gwen said...

I want to see your hair! Please post a photo. :) Also, I miss you!!

Blogger Orangeblossoms said...

Hey! This must mean that you're keeping your camera resolution.... I mean resolve not pixels!

Cool.

Also, hair pic, pretty please?

Blogger dale-harriet said...

To your MIL- Yeah, I know, these kids have no respect for decent language...but whoddyagonnado? Second, oh yes, please, we need pix of your super-coiffurist's dyno-mite work, please. (Oh - and the whole pregnant dying lads thing would be funny if it weren't below grievous and too familiar for words....(

Blogger J. said...

Yeah so what's up with the mean knitting stores? I've often wondered about that? I figure that it's the tiny knots that makes em mean! Linux programmers are also mean. In that case probably the semi colons. Good that you found a haircutter that you like. I cut my own hair - not to save money. Haircutting places are intimidating. I think for over a year now or more(I'm not good with time - should read a Stephen Hawkins book, probably),I've cut my own hair and the results vary. Also good that you've found a knitting store that you like.

Blogger AmberSwan said...

Yay! Glad you love your hairs! But why did you cut your sweet self out of the pic?

Post a Comment

<< Home