Monday, August 07, 2006
My thoughts on Mel, Karl, Tom and other overly entitled Christian white men who say what they really mean even if they regret it when they’re sober
I have not seen Pocohontas.

I have not seen Braveheart.

I stopped putting money in Mel’s pocket after his 1992 interview in the Spanish magazine El Pais.

In the interview, when asked what he thought of gay people, he said, "They take it up the ass." (Brilliant, Mel.) Gibson then bent over and pointed to his buttocks, saying "This is only for taking a shit."

When the interviewer recalled that Gibson previously had expressed fear people would think he is gay because he's an actor, Gibson responded in saying "Do I sound like a homosexual? Do I talk like them? Do I move like them?" Gibson later defended his comments on Good Morning America, saying "I don't think there's an apology necessary, and I'm certainly not giving one. [Those remarks were a response] to a direct question. If someone wants my opinion, I'll give it. What, am I supposed to lie to them?"

Whether anyone wants my opinion or not, I’m not paying for him to have duck l’orange and a full body massage in his Malibu rehab facility. All y’all who are coming to this after his "Fucking Jews" comment are a little slow on the draw.

I do not eat Carl’s Jr. I don’t care how fucking good their fries may be. Carl Karcher has an exceptionally long history of funding and/or sitting on the boards of anti-choice, homophobic and racist organizations.

Tom Monaghan doesn’t own a bit of Domino’s Pizza now but when he did, I actively chose not to partake.

Richard Hayne deserves every bit of scorn you have. All the super-cute indie designers, all the Jesus is my Homeboy t-shirts, all the adorable glass doorknob pulls will have to be purchased by someone else. The owner of Urban Outfitters and Anthropologie, home of the hipsters, is a great big Republican who has contributed over $13,000 to Rick Santorum (he of the homosexuality=bestiality fame) and his political action committee. The thing that really gnaws at me over this one is that he knows his money is coming from a bunch of liberal hipsters that think the stores are supporting indie designers when he’s actually (allegedly) ripping them off.
Just for you red staters out there, I give all of these companies and their owners/presidents free reign to spend their hard earned money on any damn thing they please. I’m just not opening up my wallet for them.

People who choose to support Carl, Richard, Mel and their causes are welcome to boycott Barnes & Noble, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Jet Blue, CostCo and Netflix for their donations to causes I believe in. Or support indie stores like Supercrafty and A Mano Yarn Center for their politics n' stuff.

Labels: , , , ,

Stumble It!


7 Comments:

Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Wait - so I'm okay with Costco? Just wanna make sure. I know they have issues re: unions and all.

And I *still* boycott Dominos, and encourage my friends to do the same. Despite selling his interest, it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Missed ya thursday.

Blogger Gwen said...

Hooray for you! I admit I didn't know much about Mel Gibson until the Passion of the Christ insanity -- I've never found him appealing, and so I've long had an unofficial boycott of him just based on good taste. But I have been preaching the evils of Richard Hayne/Urban Outfitters far and wide!

The ripping off of designers is NOT alleged. You can read more about what they did to Johnny Cupcakes here:
http://www.consumerist.com/consumer/evil/urban-outfitters-rips-designers-cupcake-tshirt-149095.php

And here is a great article from the Philadelphia Weekly about Richard Hayne:
http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/view.php?id=5725

Blogger Elizabeth McClung said...

Great standing behind what you believe in a corporate way - I am still puzzled by the "Do I move like a homosexual" line - Is Mel aware of some sort of guys/girls in motion gaydar that the rest of us are unaware of?

Blogger Uccellina said...

Come on, come on, do the homo-motion with me!

On a more serious note: Amen.

. . . Wood'ja (?) buih-leave! . . .

I almost feel sorry for the fools, bent on destroying Israel. If only they knew what they're going up against. In the post titled ". . . more 'italian' than you realize . . .", I expound on the chief reason for that emotional "near miss".

Anyway, the text for the hyperlink to that post is just below . . .
http://hewhoisknownassefton.blogspot.com/2006/07/more-italian-than-you-realize.html

If this comment intrigues you, consider bringing up that page.

toodles

. . . oh, by the bye, the post in question does mention Mel . . .

Blogger Allison said...

Thanks for the indie business plug!

Thanks for posting about the companies and their donating habits. I didn't know about Carl's Jr. and will pass the info along to my fast-food eating husband.

You can read about how Urban Outfitters ripped off Johnny Cupcakes here: http://www.boingboing.net/2006/01/17/did_urban_outfitters.html

Bastards.

Blogger Susan said...

I was unaware of the Mel Gibson interview from 1992 that you mentioned. I asked my husband the other day if Mel was just jealous of all the crazy-as-a-bedbug press Tom Cruise was getting and decided to get in on the act. I didn't realize the guy has been batshit crazy all along.

Post a Comment

<< Home