Thursday, October 05, 2006
Abstinence makes the heart grow blonder....
Oh, K8. Now you've got me started. K8 linked to this today. She was amused. I am a little amused but I am also shocked, perhaps a little appalled. Check out their bargain rack! Mortification ensues. I am only amused at the fact that a bunch of 39 cent crap is supposed to protect teenagers from the evil that is their bodies. I am appalled because on a few people, it might actually work and for them I am scared. I am afraid that they vote.

According to SIECUS, 63% of high school seniors are sexually active (more hideous rose pins for the virgins!). However, in the past 6 years, 800 million dollars (I feel like the count from Sesame Street) has been given to abstinence only education programs like WAIT (Why Am I Tempted? - omg, they are so clever!!!!!) More parentheses (and you're tempted because, as Mr. Michael says, "Sex is natural, sex is fun..." we won't get into the rest).

Honestly!

I don't know what this information does for boys as I was never a boy and never had much success in looking at things from boys perspectives but for a girl, the information, if that's what you want to call it, bites ass.

"Get the ring, wait for the bling"
"Sexually speaking, it has been said that men are like microwaves and women are like crock pots." Huh?
“[Students] need to know that, when used every time, condoms at best only provide a 50% reduction in the transmission rates of syphilis, gonorrhea and Chlamydia. They should be told that condoms do not appear to provide any protection from HPV, (which causes 99% of all cervical cancer).” SO NOT TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So essentially the message that a lot of these abstinence programs are promoting is:
-The girl needs to be the "strong" one and keep a boy from his urges
-Be a big money grubbing whore who withholds until you get a rock
-If you take a pledge for virginity you'll be in with the cool kids, if that's what cool passes for these days - I wouldn't know, I thought cool was thinking for yourself.....
-Deny all of your normal feelings of desire and get involved in bible studies
-If you do have desires, don't masturbate
-If you have sexual desire, you clearly have not been praying hard enough
-If you give in to having sex, you haven't just made a mistake, you've ruined your life, made yourself undesirable to any good man and you've destroyed your childrens' pure yet-to-be-born souls.

BAD GIRL, NO RING FOR YOU! As if all a girl ever wanted was to register for a blender and make her husband waffles on Sunday morning. I've done both, but seriously, it's not all I'm about people.

Labels:

Stumble It!


9 Comments:

Blogger WineGrrl said...

"Get the ring, wait for the bling"

Golly....I think women should buy their own darn Bling!

Blogger WineGrrl said...

....besides, don't we all like being compared to household appliances?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And personally, I'm a microwave kind of girl. I'm too impatient for the slow cooker.

Blogger K8 said...

I'm appalled too, but I know I have readers who may not be. I am totally not a crock pot. Men are like microwaves? Hard to program? :)

I hate the argument that men need to be 'protected' from their 'urges.' Like they're kids who need to be constantly told, "No no no, don't touch!"

I wonder how many petals we start out with....

Blogger Abby Hansen said...

This reminds me of a hilarious scene from the Gilmore Girls when a pastor tries to convince young (and not-so-virginal) Rory to hold on to her virginity:

"It's a special gift you can give to only one man, and when you find that special man, if you've already given that gift to someone else, you'll have to give him a sweater."

Hey, aren't I in a knitting group?
Wow, who knew I was such a slut?

Hee.

Blogger Susan said...

It infuriates me to no end that women/girls are both told they have to be strong to protect men/boys from their desires -OR- that women are PUNISHED because men find them tempting. It's one of the things about most of the major organized religions in the world that makes me ill. Women need to cover their heads and their hair and anything that's attractive about them, or worship in separate spaces, because we might take the men's focus away from whichever deity is being worshipped.

Petals falling off, my ass. Where's the little pin for the male virgins. What falls off everytime THEY engage in premarital sex?

Blogger Uccellina said...

So you must really love the purity ball.

Blogger WineGrrl said...

I know these people have good intentions; however, something about that Purity Ball just gives me the creeps.

Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

HOLY CRAP. I just checked out the purity ball. If that's not (as WineGrrl notes) the CREEPIEST thing ever, I don't know what is.

I happened to be a late bloomer (GET IT?!?! HAH!!!) compared to my contemporaries, but I managed to make up for it!

Post a Comment

<< Home