Wednesday, February 21, 2007
Word Wednesday

I have a lot of words lately and in an ongoing nod to Mr. Colbert, Wednesday is going to be the day.

Today’s word is Tchotchkefication.

That’s right, you heard me, I said tchotchkefication (btw – that is the correct spelling!)

Defined, tchotchkefication is the making of any space so cluttered with little items of no use (tchotchkes) that you cannot turn around without fear of breaking something, nor can you find a space to rest a glass on any surface.

Personally, I do not understand tchotchkefication. In my home, I have a jade turtle. It serves no use whatsoever. It haunts me. Things must have uses.

I want to know about the use of a plush heart with feet that says dirty things about getting into bed (which I will have for sale at CAPs yard sale on March 3rd). I mean seriously people. Get a plant if you want to give a nice gift! They make oxygen! This heart was given without irony even...

Don’t get me wrong, I am not a neat freak. I leave useful things everywhere. Scissors, inspiring clippings, nail polish remover, a newspaper that I’m not done reading yet (hint)…. It’s the tchotchkes that I don’t understand. Please, won’t someone explain the tchotckes!!!!

Labels:

Stumble It!


5 Comments:

Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Note to self: Don't invite Faith over.


I have a weakness for shiny useless crap. I can't explain it. Although, there is always a place to put a glass.

Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Me and LA, we're twin daughters of different mothers (lucky her!). I am a tchotchkeophile. Yay!

Blogger Pam! said...

I know 2 tchotchkerrific people in my live and I can only speak about them. One seems to feel pretty empty on the inside so maybe she just can't stand empty on the outside. The other has shopping issues for emotional reasons and when she can't find something useful to buy, she buys less-than-useful stuff. Small statuettes of big eyed children, anyone?

Blogger Frank said...

I can't explain it; but I can give you my mom's phone number...

Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Yeah, well, ahem...I, too am cursed with the totchke-gene. I like to spell it tsatske. From my Leo Rosten's "Joys of Yiddish," the original meaning of tsatske is a goilfriend that's not too smart, just a little plaything...a tsatskela. How's that for male chauvinism?

Tsatskes around the house are warm and cozy. They might be a reminder of a loved one or a trip to a faraway place. I collect lots of stuff (that I'm now trying to get rid of). My collection of 40's and 50's vimtage elves are ready for dusting right now! One way to make tsatkes less cluttery looking in a room is to have many of one type, thereby giving unification to the look.

Oy vey!

Post a Comment

<< Home