Tuesday, February 13, 2007
The gang's all here!

Last month I went to the Coronation of the Oedipus Rex LXXVI. Oedipus is Michael's motorcycle gang. There were about 100 men (and me) celebrating the coronation. This particular photo is of the new Rex and one of the Satyrs, the "rival gang" paying homage.

Oedipus Motorcycle Club (OMC) has been in existence for 49 years. They have scrapbooks with photos from as far back as 1958. The history of the gay motorcycle community is incredibly rich. I spent nearly the entire night combing the scrapbooks. If a movie hadn't already been made about the oldest gay motorcycle club, the Satyrs, called Original Pride, I'd want to do one. I'm thinking about some other ideas though.

The photos of gay men in 1958 with their bikes - how incredible, and incredibly different it must have been.

I have the DVD of Original Pride at home if anyone ever wants to see it.

There are actually a bunch of gay motorcycle gangs (they officially call them clubs but I like gangs better). Just in Los Angeles alone there is Satyrs, Oedipus, Warriors, LOBOC and probably one or two others I can't remember.

Anyway, this weekend, Oedipus made me an Associate Member! I'm officially a (associate) member of a gay biker gang. I am sincerely incredibly honored to be a part of the history. The next board meeting (yes, they have board meetings) is going to be at our house.

Now I'm really going to have to learn to ride.

Labels: ,

Stumble It!


3 Comments:

Blogger Frank said...

That's totally cool! I had no idea. I wanna be in a gay motorcycle gang. Shoot, guess I should get a motorcycle first though...

But can I still borrow the DVD?

Blogger Uccellina said...

You're posting, like, every day! I love it.

And you're even more bad-ass now that you're in a gay biker gang.

Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Yes, you MUST learn to ride. You will love it.

So, when I was in college (around the time of Rex II), the fraternities could induct what they called "little sisters", since they were (obviously) a dude organization. And the little sisters could go to all the parties and stuff without a special invite or date with a brother.

Is that kinda like being an "associate" for a biker gang? Just curious.

Post a Comment

<< Home