Monday, January 29, 2007
A sink and a revelation
When you think of a perfectionist, she may be someone who writes her thank you notes on time, welcomes her new neighbors with a basket of homemade cookies, works out for 45 minutes a day, every day and grills a perfect flank steak. She may be slightly stressed and ever so slightly annoying.

The fact of the matter is, a perfectionist is none of these things. I have a little issue with the perfectionism. In essence, I have a voice in my head that says, "I can't start this until I know exactly the right way to do this."

Therefore, things do not get accomplished. Some of the messiest people you know are "perfectionists" who do not know "yet" where is the "perfect" place to put that piece of paper. Therefore, it will remain out until the perfect place makes itself known.

As I get healthier, my perfectionism seems to be taking quite the beating - which is a really good thing. The desk issue was an example of this perfectionism. Being certain that I have made the right decision is a part of this perfectionism so when I got rid of all of my furniture before moving I made a commitment to myself to find furniture I loved (perfect or not).

Last week I made a huge discovery and it was all about a bathroom sink. See, I needed a bathroom sink. There was no sink in my bathroom, just a pipe where the sink should be. So I went to Osh and Lowes and Home Depot and Home Expo and the Great Indoors and every independent bathroom design shop between Santa Monica and Pasadena. I could not find the perfect sink.

Some sinks were too expensive
Some sinks were too cheap
Some sinks were just ugly
and some sinks were too big

A month had gone by. I needed a sink.

Then I realized, if I got a sink that wasn't "perfect" but nice and inexpensive and well sized, then I could brush my teeth and get some cute door knobs and jazz it up a little and have a sink. And that is what I did. I spent less than $200 which is amazing for a sink and you know what?

It's perfect.

Labels:

Stumble It!


6 Comments:

Blogger Laurie Ann said...

My friend Tami is exactly that way. She needs X. We go shopping and look at 37 different perfectly acceptable variations of X, but none of them are exactly the one she wants so we go home X-less. Then she will moan about how much she needs X. I hope someday she gains your wisdom.

Blogger Ana Petrova said...

You just told my story! Although as I have gotten older this "ism" has gotten "better".

I am too afflicted with if I can't do it perfectly I won't do it at all. It is very tough to live with so I have to get over myself and sometimes declare some things to be ok. yes even perfect.

Blogger Uccellina said...

I have this problem. Mainly with my writing. I cannot move on to another paragraph until the one I have just completed is Per.Fect.

Blogger Frank said...

I'm a recovering perfectionist. I still have times when I fall off the wagon. But hey, I'm not perfect, so I try to jump back on...

Speaking of web rings (slick segue, no?), I like our webring icons Faith. Now, can someone come over to my blog and tell me how to insert a web ring code? I have no flipping clue and I'm getting nasty emails from webring people saying I didn't do my part. I'm not a bad person, I'm just imperfect (ooh, points for tying it into your post!).
xo

Blogger Allison said...

And now you need a faucet.

http://www.megawestern.com/factories.asp?Div=South

Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

christ. If I ever had a little homie of my ownie I'd be paralyzed with finding the perfect stuff. In the crappy little apt., I don't care what's there. I just wish I could find some middle ground.

Post a Comment

<< Home