Monday, January 22, 2007
Dinner at 8

I have become a happy homemaker!

It's a little weird for me. I used to run around in real steel-toed Doc Martin's. I used to sleep on the sidewalk to protest Governor Pete Wilson's stupid ideas. I used to climb over barbed wire fences to allow women access to pregnancy clinics. Not that I'm bemoaning anything (especially the nasty barbed wire fence scars).

Last weekend while at the Farmer's Market I stood in line for meat at the butcher and frankly, though that's not such a big deal, it made an impression and made me think about my identity - oddly enough. ( But really, when am I not thinking about/processing/considering my identity...?)

1st - Usually when I buy meat, it's pre-wrapped in the little bin beside the meat counter at Pavilions. I don't have to talk to anyone. This time, I went to an honest to goodness butcher where I could see the whole cows through the window in the meat freezer and talked to the real butcher. I suddenly wanted to put on a dress with a big Doris Day skirt.

2nd - I have a house now. There is something significant about that. I didn't predict how much that fact itself would make me feel like a housewife. I do NOT say that in a derogatory way at all. I am very much enjoying cooking meals in my house for my family. I enjoy taking in the trash bins. I can't wait to start digging up the backyard. I want to spend more time around my house making a home.


3rd - My identity is shifting. I'm 36 years old, I'm no longer in a depressive phase and see the world in color. I am struggling with my identity but in a very positive way. Essentially, I am asking myself, "who do I want to be now?"


Now that I'm not drowning in quicksand barely able to get out of the house, what do I want to focus on? There are so many options to me out there and this is one of them that makes me happy.


Labels: ,

Stumble It!


7 Comments:

Blogger Ana Petrova said...

The "Happy Homemaker" feeling comes over me too periodically but it passes. I am never that comfortable with it, now that I'm older it's easier.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts it got me thinking about my transitions in life. Hope to see you on Thursday.

Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Will you be my Mommy? Okay, so I'm older than you; so what.

I can weed a garden like nobody's business. Give me a call if you need help.

Blogger Faith said...

Ana - I'll definitely be there on Thursday.

Laurie Ann - Yes.

Blogger Allison said...

I love being a "housewife!" Want to trade recipes?

Blogger crazyauntpurl said...

I keep trying to move in... you don't mind four cats and a crazy lady do you? I have yarn!

Blogger Uccellina said...

We should have a sleepover at your house. With wine and yarn and a fire in the fireplace.

Blogger Frank said...

Can the new guy come? I've got yarn AND recipes!

Post a Comment

<< Home