Wednesday, April 25, 2007
Meditation on Passion
For anything to endure, it needs to be loved.

Today is the 22nd day of the Omer. Three weeks and one day.

The Omer is counted for 49 days from the second night of Passover until Shavuot. Among other things, the Omer is a time of inner reflection and growth. Each day is a meditation on being a better human being.

Today's meditation is particularly special to me, although, I might come back for a few more meditations in the next couple of weeks. Today's meditation is on love in endurance.

I think about all the things I love and all the things that love me back. These things endure.

I think of the most enduring things in my life, Michael, my friendships, my work, learning about myself, activism, gardening, knitting and writing -- I have a great passion for these things.

Likewise, the things that do not last in my life, a fleeting affair with running a marathon, a fleeting affair -- these things I have no passion for and so I allow them to fall away.

There is something to be said for enduring passion. For finding something you love and sticking to it, thick and thin, easy or difficult. Though it wasn't always clear to me, in bed, covers over my head, crying at the wind, Michael was enduring. He did not give up on me -- even when I might have given up on myself. He didn't always know how to show it ("snap out of it" didn't work so well) just that he was still there when I woke up was proof. I don't know what I did to deserve it.

If there is something, or someone you believe in, you fight for it. You love it, enduring through the yucky patches, overcoming the obstacles because you love it. And it makes you a better human being.

Labels: , ,

Stumble It!


2 Comments:

Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

i am just consistently awed by how self-aware you are and how hard you try.

it is impressive, and inspiring.

Blogger Orangeblossoms said...

loved this entry. L o v e d it.

Meditations on passion are few and far between. Yet, passion makes the difference between necessary and essential.

Post a Comment

<< Home