Friday, May 22, 2009
The messages we send.
Today, May 22 would have been Harvey Milk's 79th birthday. Happy birthday Harvey, and thanks for everything.

This same week that a sixth grade child at Mt. Woodson Elementary School in San Diego County was asked to give her report at lunch hour rather than during class. Students had to take home and have permission slips signed to listen to the report. Natalie Jones decided to do her report on the first openly gay politician, Harvey Milk.

The ACLU is charging that Natalie had her free speech rights violated. There is nothing in the life of Harvey Milk, from his upbringing to his life and political campaigning to his assassination that is inappropriate for a sixth grade classroom. Did the principal, who sent letters to parents giving them the option of not allowing their child to listen to the presentation, think that the 6th grader was going to discuss his sex life? Or was it just because this important and historical political figure might bring up more questions than the principal could handle.

Doubtless, a small but significant percentage of the children in Natalie's class are gay. They have received a message this week. A message that their lives are inappropriate.

They may receive another one on Tuesday. The California Supreme Court will rule to maintain or overturn Prop 8.

What message will they receive.
Stumble It!


4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Occasionally I forget that mentioning that a person is queer is sexual content and parental discretion is advised. Mentioning that a person is heterosexual is not. Of course. They're normal; we're deviant.

Maybe it's good to be reminded.

Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Oh. That's so hard. Wee Monkeygurl and her classmates (5th grade) are starting to recognize being gay as an issue (particularly with pop icons), and we try really hard to reinforce that it *should not* make a difference as to whether or not you like someone, but sometimes... It's just so hard. *We* say it doesn't matter either way, and then everyone else says it does. I can see she wants to believe us, but there are so many (louder, more insistent) voices telling her otherwise. Sigh. Just call me Sisyphus. I'll keep pushing my little pebble up the hill.

Blogger dale-harriet said...

Sister Faith - I just went to watch your video on the guest spot and I LOVE it! I played it three times, got the hub to watch it (twice). I give it a 10 - easy words, you can dance to it......Well, ok, kidding aside - I guess I'd hoped the world would be further along by now than it is. I guess I'm trying to do "my part" but until people's sexuality is as big a non-issue as hair color I won't be happy. (Ooops - well, maybe EYE COLOR, she sez, thinking of blonde jokes)........

Blogger Queers United said...

We have come so far, yet not enough since Harvey.

Post a Comment

<< Home