Wednesday, April 23, 2008
Compassion - Omer Day 3
Today's meditation is about compassion in love.

Baruch Spinoza said, "I have made a ceaseless effort not to ridicule, not to bewail, not to scorn human actions, but to understand."

I live my life by this ethic and yet every day, I am challenged.

  • I am challenged by the driver in front of me in the morning going 25 miles per hour in a 40 mph zone.
  • I am challenged by the system in which I work that sends endless criticism for which I have very little recourse.
  • I am challenged by people I know and love who want to be more but choose not to be.
  • I am challenged by my own inability to fight off demons that have haunted me for nearly a lifetime.

I try, every day, to be compassionate. To remember that the driver in front of me may have very precious cargo. To remember that the system is doing its best for people who are in vulnerable positions. To remember that the people I love are trying their best, and even when they aren't, there is a reason. To remember that I wake up every day and try to do my best, even when I don't quite make it.

Labels: ,

Stumble It!


2 Comments:

Blogger geogrrl said...

This was lovely, Faith.

I'm not a patient person (there's an understatement) and when I was younger I had little time for those I perceived as "idiots".

As I've gotten older, I've learned through hard experience and observation that we all have our own paths to walk... our own way of getting through life. I have no business scorning, belittling, or bewailing the choices of someone else.

I still slide into my old ways, but I do my best to remind myself to have compassion and patience.

Blogger crazyauntpurl said...

I'm so imperfect it's mind-boggling, but I am actively trying to be better at forgiving, which is something that I actually find hard to do. Weird, eh? I tend to hold onto things I should let go of much, much sooner.

Oh, by the way, my apologies for such a brisk task-oriented email yesterday. I've had a certain boss up the backside for days now. It is truly delightful. Anyway, wanted to say I was really proud of what you created, and I am certain I forgot to mention that part ;)

In other news, I have a pumpkin plant! I think something sat obn my watermelon plants or rolled in them or had a party, but my pumpkins are doing great!

Post a Comment

<< Home