Thursday, November 06, 2008
Inspired to Change
Good morning everyone! It is a new day here in America and I am feeling it. The photos and speeches have made me cry (ME!!! I know!!!) and I can't get enough of the hope.

In that vein, I know we're all going to have to do our part to help this country heal.

In honor of our President-Elect Barack Obama, I am starting a new project.

I would like, by my birthday, to have at least 2 black lawn bags worth of new packaged socks and men's and women's underwear of all sizes to donate to the Jeff Griffith Youth Services Center for homeless gay, lesbian, bi and transgender youth.

I will also be accepting any toiletries you happen to have as they offer showers for drop-ins. The next time you go to the market, pick up a 3 pack of socks. If it won't affect your bill in much of a discernible way or you are feeling generous or perhaps you'll get the magazine/grapes/case of Coke at your next shopping trip. If you are pinching pennies right now and just can't make the donation, I completely understand. It's rough out there and I don't want anyone to feel like I'm assuming their situation. If you can help, they need it. When the economy slows, many organizations start losing donors and gay and lesbian street youth can be some of the most disenfranchised of all.

Labels:

Stumble It!


5 Comments:

Blogger Uccellina said...

Um, when's your birthday?

Blogger penny said...

I agree a) when's your b-day and b) I have 99ยข and other discount stores nearby. is that ok?

I can get socks there. I wear 'em. they work well. (underwear acquisition is currently unknown, but I shall try)

i have a pile o travel tolietries from various hotels. would those be welcome?

do you want plain stuff or can there be fun patterns and things? i'll try not to do seasonal specific b/c i'd be embarrassed if it was june and my only pair of socks had candy canes. (july is another story. ;) )

Blogger Allison said...

Awesome project! Count me in - can I mail you a check and can you purchase some things with it next time you're at Target? Probably more efficient than me mailing the actual items.

Blogger Faith said...

Oops! My birthday is December 23rd.

Penny - only if you want to and feel free to send patterns. Though many of them are hardened by the streets and abuse -- they are still kids.

Allison - Absolutely!!!

Blogger Allison said...

Great - the check is in the mail! keep us posted on your progress.

Post a Comment

<< Home