Thursday, October 16, 2008
Mortified
The other day I went out on my front porch to find Michael having a discussion with our next door neighbor. It seems that he is a Republican (which I did not know) and he is having a hard time voting for McCain.

I joined the discussion (duh.).

"Why," he asked me, "are you voting for Obama?"

Among about a billion other reasons, I am voting for Obama, I said, "because I am tired of the anti-intellectualism being fostered in this country and especially by the Republican party. I want someone as President who is smarter than I am."

He replied incredulously, "And you think Obama is smarter than you?"

My response:
"Yes. Barack Obama was president of Harvard Law Review.

I could not be President of the Harvard Law Review. In fact, I couldn't get into Harvard. I couldn't get into Brown. Believe me, I tried."

"Hmm. I hadn't thought of that." he said.

No. You hadn't, because you're too busy eating up all of the bullshit put out into the world about Obama raising your taxes and being Muslim.

W. couldn't have been president of Harvard Law Review and I believe I am correct in saying that he was legacied into Yale. Unfortunately, as the first woman in my family to graduate from college, I wasn't about to get legacied in anywhere except perhaps L.A. Valley College and I don't think they do those sorts of things.

I am genuinely mortified. I do not know what is wrong with people. This election has brought out the absolute worst of our society. The amount of clear, unfiltered racism is repulsive (not that filtered, shadowy racism isn't). I just didn't think I'd see so much of it.

Shakesville has a Obama Racism/Muslim/Unpatriotic/Scary Black Dude Watch that is up to #97. And #97 is quite a doozy.

The worst part is that the creator of this caricature denies she had intended to be racist in any way.

Jeebus, woman. If you're going to surround Obama with fried chicken, watermelon, ribs and Kool-Aid, own it. You've got yourself a little racism.

I wish there was a vaccine for that.

Labels: , ,

Stumble It!


12 Comments:

Blogger Uccellina said...

I was just saying yesterday that even I, cynical as I am, have been kind of shocked at the overt racism that has suffused the anti-Obama camp. My boss' comments about "angry black woman" (re: Michelle Obama) and how he should have told opposing counsel (who was black) that I would be "voting for one of his brethren" are mere drops in a much larger, very ugly bucket.

Blogger Annika said...

r over a month, I have been asking everyone I know to please, please explain to me what it is about Barack Obama that screams "elitist." The ONLY answer I have gotten is his education. Because... the last two presidents didn't go to Ivy League schools? My response (once I managed to speak) was exactly the same as yours: "I want a president who is smarter than me."

Blogger Kath said...

I'm not talking politics with any Republicans and/or McCain/Palin supporters. Not that I'd shy away from a logical debate or anything, I just don't think that's possible and try not to poke the crazies any more often than necessary.

Blogger Unknown said...

I know this is going to surprise you, but -- No, wait. First I'll tell you that I live in Arkansas, and now none of this will surprise you.

Anyway, I've been surprised by the lack of overt racism relative to where I live. I just heard today on NPR that Arkansas is inching its way from Firmly McCain to Battleground State. Yahoo!

And while I find the Obama Bucks image completely horrifying because I understand its underlying intent, I also couldn't help but think, "Man, that's pretty much what I eat every day." (Last year I developed a Kool Aid problem and had to quit cold turkey.)

Blogger twinsetellen said...

I believe Palin gave all the people who were trying to pretend they weren't racist by saying they couldn't make up their minds a reason to choose McCain, so they could say they didn't want to be sexist.

It is horrifying and terrifying.

Blogger Allison said...

Come on out my way for some fun. My doctor's office has McCain signs on the front lawn (there's a good story with that one!) It's freaking scary. The good news is that it's looking like Obama is going to win PA.

I'm sick of this elitist BS, too. Just because people attend an Ivy League school does not mean they are elitist. Serving the public is hardly an "elitist" profession. And selling yarn? Hardly elitist.

Blogger Becca said...

It sucks that intelligent people are socially obligated to apologize for being intelligent.

I think it's healthy that we, as a nation, have to look in the mirror every 4 years to see who we've become. I too want someone smarter than me to be dealing with issues like the economy (Harvard is a good choice here don't you think?)
And I also think it's swell that Sarah Palin can find time to be on SNL, but won't be on Meet The Press.
Unfortunately I live in a place where the men leave their women in their pick up trucks while they go in to vote - Republican. Let's hope it's temporary (where I live and the state of ignorance in our country.)
If the Obama Buck isn't racism, I wonder what their definition of racism is?
Three cheers to Colin Powell for speaking his truth so well.
Peace.

Blogger Linda said...

"I wish there was a vaccine for that." Amen!

Blogger Henley said...

Look - calm down. Geez peeps! Get a grip. There are some of us who just do not like Obama, NOT because he's black - because he SCARES US!! His politics just plain scare me! Can't you guys understand that we all do not have to love love love him and it's not at all related to the color of his skin? Just perhaps - it's related to his beliefs. Novel idea!! WOW

Blogger Faith said...

Dear Henley -

1. Do NOT come on my blog and tell me to calm down.

2. Nowhere did I state that everyone voting for McCain is doing so because they are racist.

3. Being condescending because you don't like what I have to say is extremely obnoxious.

Kisses.
Faith

Blogger thebookmistress said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment

<< Home