Thursday, June 07, 2007
Assignments
When I was in school I hated homework. It took me away from things I loved like reading in my closet a.k.a. my secret lair (I started early).

Anyway, since therapy has entered into my life, I am all about assignments.

It's interesting what a little Prozac, some perspective and some introspection will do to help one's mental health.

I've done hundreds of assignments, most of them I have done willingly, even eagerly.

A few of them I have done kicking and screaming.

Of course, these kicking/screaming assignments tend to be the ones that move me so much further in terms of my sanity and figuring out all of this stuff. I should have known...

The one where I wrote a letter to my body, which I was sure was going to be a totally dorky assignment and not worth my precious time...turns out was incredibly enlightening into some of my so-called "behaviors."

I'm also one of those brown-nosers who does extra credit. If I'm given an assignment to come up with some goals, I have to come up with BIG GOALS, little goals and 101 things I want to accomplish before I die.

I'm at #55.

I'm stuck. If you have any suggestions for any of the 101 things I need to do before I'm dead, other than write a will, let me know will you?

I've written "read Faust".

It's getting pathetic.

xo

Labels: , ,

Stumble It!


7 Comments:

Blogger fleecyknits said...

Hi, Faith!

It's funny you should mention assignments. I was just thinking the other day that our family therapist (doesn't every family have one?) ;-) is always giving my son assignments but not me. Now I can't decide whether she really isn't giving them to me or whether she's so subtle that I just haven't noticed. She is a frighteningly good therapist (and after 12 or 13 of them I should know) so I'm perfectly willing to believe that. I think she's working on the subtle guilt. She's been trying to get me to get some exercise for ages and I finally am. It has more to do with last summer's shorts not fitting than taking better of care of myself but she says it doesn't matter what the motivation is as long as I'm doing it.

I love your blog. I found you through Laurie. It's scary how many women I know feel so deeply damaged. But it makes us much more interesting. :-)

Sarah
who knits a lot,has never worn a pair of Birkenstocks and can't survive without good therapy

Blogger Frank said...

56. Learn sign language
57. Learn to juggle
58. Kayak to Catalina Island

(Are these helping?)

Blogger Laurie Ann said...

I have no suggestions, but I'm glad I didn't get that assignment. Given my penchant for waiting until the night before to complete my term papers, I'd be on my death bed saying, "I just need one more thing for my list. I know, I'll g (ack,gurgle)________"

Blogger Kucki68 said...

See the pyramids and the sphinx!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Add things like "Read in the closet more!" Don't forget the things that make you happy. I forgot until I read your post that I read in my closet too as a kid!

My therapist was fond of giving me assignments that involved meeting new people since one of my issues was social anxiety. It was painful but she was right. I guess being committed to growth includes an acceptance of a certain amount of pain. And we pay for that! :0)

It was very nice meeting you in NYC with Laurie! I hope our paths cross again someday.

Colleen in MA

Blogger Faith said...

Thanks Fleecy for your comments! Maybe your therapist is trying to give you hinting assignments!!!!

Frank. Yes. Especially the one about kayaking! That's exactly what I meant!
And thanks Kucki!!!

Laurie - some people are homework people. I am one of those people. It's weird. I know.

Colleen - So incredible meeting you too! I never even thought about reading in the closet again! I'm totally going to do that! Thanks!

Blogger Jen said...

the only one I can think of that totally applies to me (the one who refuses to confront people because, gasp, I might hurt a stranger's feelings so instead I'll just seethe internally until finally I just snap and start screaming at the wall): tell someone off when they deserve it.

Not that I expect this to help you at all, but what the heck... it's on my list of things to do before I die.

Post a Comment

<< Home