Monday, July 23, 2007
What I did on my summer "vacation"
Friday night - midnight.
Me: asleep in my bed. I know I said I'd be in line for Harry but when I went to get my wristband, they had already given out over 1,000 and so on my way home I called Target. The nice lady said they had copies. They were opening at 8 a.m.

Saturday morning

7:30 a.m. Me: in the Target parking lot with a steaming cup of Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf (my favorite) and the L.A. Times.

7:45 a.m.: People start lining up.

7:55 a.m.: Target guy comes out and starts handing out tickets to the 50+ people in line. He lets us know he has 600 copies. We will all get a copy. Two if we want.

8 a.m. the doors open. I get my copy plus two extras.

8:45 a.m. Mia, the cutest child in the entire world comes over for a day of activities with Aunt Faith. I trade the father - (1) adorable baby for (1) copy of Harry Potter.

I, having not even opened Harry, begin a full day of activity. These activities include a play date with Allison and Evan, Jane and Emmett and a photo shoot for L.A. Parent Magazine. Lest you think we are completely crazy and going all Mama Rose on y'all, Tough Cookies (my sister's store) actually advertises in L.A. Parent and had a booth at this event.

3:30 p.m. I deliver Mia back to her smart, funny, exhausted and grateful parents. I realize I have fed the child four times since her dad dropped her off. I have not, however, fed myself even once. I consider the amazing work it is to raise a child, much less raise a child while owning one's own business.

I race home. I pop a bag of popcorn. I open the book.

5:00 p.m. Michael comes home from work. I am non-responsive. He says, "Honey...we need to talk. I think you might have a reading disorder."

Ha ha. Very funny. (Actually, it is pretty damn funny)

Michael leaves for the evening. I mumble "bye." Barely.

9:30 p.m. It has been a very long day. I fall asleep at page 420.

Sunday morning
6:30 a.m. - I open the book. I am only slightly aware that I have two events I need to be at today. One at 12:30 p.m. and one at 7:30 p.m. I read while making oatmeal. I read while turning on the sprinklers. I read while wrapping gifts. I am officially a total dork.

12 noon - I put DOWN the book and go to the first party. I leave Harry at home for fear I will be tempted to read at red lights.

4:00 p.m. I pick the book up again.

5:45 p.m. Mrs. Funbutt picks me up for second event. I say goodbye to Harry and off we go.

9:45 p.m. I arrive home. I pick up the book.

11:00 p.m. I finish Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

I did not check the internet. I did not turn on the television. Total moratorium on all outside media until the book was finished.

And that is what I did on my summer vacation.

The end.

Labels: , ,

Stumble It!


8 Comments:

Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

You are dedicated! I never even guessed that you were secretly longing for Harry and the gang while you were crocheting away on your little neopolitan squares!
Hmmm...? Preoccupied with Harry...maybe that's why you left your gorgeous yarn at my house!

Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Yay you! I got HP7(via Amazon) today at the office. A few have mocked me, but bullocks to them, I say!

And also? Even 'tho I'm only on chapter 5, I would say definitively that a day with the beautiful Mia was absolutely worth the trade. And then some. :)

Blogger Laurie Ann said...

I can't believe you put it down. I only stopped reading when my eyes were too blurry. I napped, then read some more until this morning before work.

I had mine delivered to my door Saturday morning and the mailman smirked at me--"Here's your Harry Potter" he said with a condescending smile. The box it came in said, "Warning: Muggles--do not deliver or open before July 21." Great.

Blogger dale-harriet said...

::Applause:: I stayed home Saturday in case I had to sign for my Amazon copy; the mail came at 1:00, no HP! Then at 3:15, here comes the mail-lady WITH THE BOOK! She says "Gee, this was among my other packages and I missed it...." Is that a Punishable Offense? My reading went similarly - I fell asleep over it at 5:00 am Sunday morning. But I finished Monday after supper (having had rude interruptions like preparations for the nephew's overnight visit). My personal feeling? Very satisfied with the whole thing. Now, back to the daily muggles-type routines.

Blogger Orangeblossoms said...

We tell the same story, sistah. Except, I had a Sunday of work to keep me from my Harry Potter.

Still, I finished last night.

Blogger PiscesCafe said...

Faith, I kind of envy the HP club that y'all are in. I went to a Harry Potter release party at a Valley bookstore with my grown daughter, she was using me as a shill. I've been so intrigued with all the pre-release articles about the book, I'm ALMOST tempted to start reading it...first volume first of course.

I was lectured to by someone in another bookstore over the weekend that Rowlings wrote the story in a specific arc, that she knew how the story would end even at the first book, and that I MUST NOT jump ahead.

Speaking of books, I highly recommend "Suite Francaise" by Irene Nemirovsky. She was a victim of the Holocaust, and this is a two-part novel (intended to be 5 parts) that she wrote during the invasion and occupation of France. Her story is as intriguing as the stories of the various characters she wrote about in the novel.

Sorry for the long comment..and cheers!

Blogger Faith said...

Ana - I read Suite Francaise a couple of months ago. So so so so beautiful.

Blogger Elizabeth McClung said...

Wow, when did summer vacation become a weekend? Mia is pretty cute and yes, you may have a reading disorder. Do you keep a list of all the books you read? I found out the head librarian at my local library does, he showed me the current binder (name, date and summary). I was not sure to be super impressed or scared.

Post a Comment

<< Home