Thursday, May 29, 2008
When nothing makes sense
Sometimes things stop making sense.
It makes no sense to me. But I have to have a way of dealing with these things on a daily basis, because I do deal with them on a nearly daily basis. I desperately try to remember that these people are human.
  • That the man who drove by me, flipped me off and yelled something from his window may be having the worst day of his life.
  • That the person who called me a fat bitch for taking a parking space has such incredible loathing for their own body that they are terrified of being anything like me
  • That the Hutu men who cut off and handed a Tutsi woman her own breast in front of her mother and father were, in many cases, children when they were taken to fight other people's battles in the DNC and have not only been desensitized to this behavior but have grown up with it all around them.
I don't understand, I don't accept, I don't forgive, but I do remind myself that these are human beings.

And I never want to become so desensitized, so hateful that I become like them.

Labels: ,

Stumble It!


5 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

I'm sorry that happened to you. Why must people be such haters?

Blogger Steal These Words said...

NYC is full of mean people too.

Blogger tiff said...

Oh. My. God.

Nothing like what's mentioned in these shocking articles should ever happen, but has been doing so since man became man. Why don't we as a people LEARN? What can we do to stop it?

Now I'm all hyped up and angry. Time to go back to work!

Blogger Tactless Wonder said...

Okay, so, um, just in case...I really need to apologize on behalf of that male driver.

He might have been my dad.

No joke, he works across the street from UCLA, so it might have been him. He's not having that good of a year...it's not an excuse...and I don't mean it to be, but I would feel just wretched if the universe ever put us in the same room together and it really was my dad who flipped you off...cuz synchronicity is so not just a song title for me lately.

I'm sorry.

Blogger Orangeblossoms said...

"And I never want to become so desensitized, so hateful that I become like them..."

amen....

Post a Comment

<< Home