Tuesday, December 02, 2008
In the land where money is no object
Conspicuous consumerism in 5...4...3...

Despite having an interior home design that is greatly inspired by the Craftsman artists, I have a great love of mid-century modern (MCM) design. The sleek and atomic inspired design makes me ever so slightly giddy. When I designed Mick and Jim's condo in Palm Springs (to be completed December 21st - photos to follow and it's available for rental!!!). I picked through every thrift store in Riverside to find the perfect credenza, nightstands, coffee table, chairs and art.

The art is the best part. MCM art is often fabulously wild and offbeat. It ranges from chunky sculpture to tiki kitsch. The most famous of the art inspired by, but not original to mid-century, is by SHAG, who I have a big ol' art crush on. He has produced a new set of pieces in collaboration with Disney commemorating the 40th anniversary of the Haunted Mansion. They are frankly, awesome. In the land where money is no object, I am at the opening cocktail party for the exhibit on August 8th, 2009 and I get myself one of these signed by the SHAG himself.



I have been dreaming about the land where money is no object a lot lately. In this land, I am tattooed from my collar bone to my ankles to my wrists. I also have a 1966 Ford Galaxie 500 Convertible (my first car, which my brother wrapped around a light pole) in turquoise with a natural gas or biofuel converted engine. Of course, I would donate a ton of money to all kinds of great causes, but this is what I'd do for myself.

What is in your "land where money is no object"?

Labels: , , ,

Stumble It!


11 Comments:

Blogger Lynn in Tucson said...

Sigh.

I want for nothing, really, but I'd love more free time.

Blogger Kath said...

In the land where money is no object I have a great big house with a stunning view of the ocean and the interior of the house is designed like the Japanese cat house so a half a dozen cats come and go freely and I have a big yard with a couple of dogs and I have a wonderful pet sitter who loves them and looks after them as well as I do so that they do not miss me when I am off traveling around the world. Phew!

That was fun. Thanks for asking!

Blogger Laurie Ann said...

In my land, there's a custom-made Andy Powers ukulele with a wood inlay sunflower on the face and tiny mother of pearl daisies on the neck.

Blogger Faith said...

Really, Laurie Ann? I had no idea!

Blogger Natalie said...

Villa in Umbria, cooking and eating and crafting with friends that visit frequently. Stop on by if you are in the neighborhood.

Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

This is the best post ever, Faith! You've given us a short chance to dream.

In the land where money is no object. I'd be living in my same little house (recently improved), then I'd improve it some more. I would be able to quit my job and knit and crochet from my vast stash all day long! Ahhhh....dreams.

P.S. We know SHAG aka Josh Agle. Larry photographs many of his paintings for reproduction. Nyaa Nyaa. If you ever want anything that you already have signed, just let me know.

Blogger Sara said...

In the land where money is no object, I'd own a comfy house with a guest room, a craft room and a dining room, so I can have real dinner parties. I'd have a back yard with lots of grass so that Vivian can run and play all summer.

Blogger WineGrrl said...

A villa in Tuscany (Chiantishire, LOL), where I could craft to my heart's desire! I'd visit Natalie in Umbria, too!

Blogger Uccellina said...

A home in the woods, probably in the Hudson Valley or the Catskills, and more children to fill it with.

Blogger Unknown said...

OOh! Good one. I'd have a house instead of an apartment, with with weekly visits from a housekeeper. There'd be a huge freezer, so I could do loads of cooking with loads of leftovers for when I don't feel like cooking. I'd just be working on my novel with no concern about selling any articles or essays.

I would have the super lightest laptop ever. And there would be much traveling.

Blogger Allison said...

ditto, Sara

Post a Comment

<< Home