Thursday, January 15, 2009
Victory!
I haven't had a crafty post in quite a while so, here is the latest news.

It's 80 degrees F and gorgeous in L.A. with no reports of a cool down. Must be time to start planting!!!

Despite my backyard being a total disaster (my fault entirely), I am, as part of this weekend's MLK National Weekend of Service, going to do my part in making this a healthier earth by planting my very own victory garden!

I have Mel Bartholomew's All New Square Foot Gardening
for a guide. He's quite a "character", that Mel. I think in the south, they'd call him touched. I'd call him a total nutbag, but he has some great tips for raised bed gardening.

This weekend involves building the beds. I won't be following Mel's advice exactly because my existing beds will make excellent bases. Then next weekend, I will be adding Mel's extra special fancy recipe for soil. Over the year I plan to plant:

  • Blackberries
  • Carrots
  • Cucumbers
  • Lettuce
  • Peppers
  • Potatoes
  • Pumpkins
  • Strawberries
  • Tomatoes
  • Zucchini and whatever else seems fun at the moment.

In addition, I will be replanting some citrus trees that I have sadly neglected and thereby horribly murdered.

On February 1st, due to budgeting constraints this month, I will be purchasing this composter and making my own compost and compost tea!

Gardening appeals to me on a number of levels. I am crafty, but the crafts that appeal to me most are where something useful is created. Hence, my great love of knitting, crocheting and sewing hats, as all my Stitch n' Bitchers know.

I consider making fruits and vegetables grow out of the ground as supremely crafty. Not to mention, turning egg shells and coffee grounds into rich compost. That is some serious craft right there.

So, while I am still knitting, crocheting and sewing (btw - my serger is actually at the repair shop getting a spa mani/pedi and lube job!)

In addition to all of the love of having actual food growing in my back yard, the hard work of making it grow is something I have discovered in my two years in our new home. I really enjoy getting out into the dirt and the sun. I love getting into the shower afterward and watching rivers of dirt stream off me. Hard work on my land for such a great benefit is really quite fun and later in the spring I can have my niece and all of my other little faux nieces and nephews come over and help me pick the produce.

Labels: , , , ,

Stumble It!


11 Comments:

Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Suzy Homemaker with shades of Ms. Kibutznik rises again! May her garden live long and prosper! Bring those extra vegies to SnB!

Blogger Sara said...

I'm so jealous of your garden! I second Ellen's thought—bring extra victory veggies to SnB!

Blogger Go Peigi Go said...

I'm so excited for you! Let me know if you need any help preserving your bounty when harvest time comes.

Blogger Faith said...

I will definitely be hauling extra goodies to SnB (and work, and neighbors, I fear). I will also certainly be canning and will need your expert assistance Peigi.

I'm very excited!

Blogger twinsetellen said...

Back in 1980 I used Mel's first edition of SFG to plant a garden. have fun!

Blogger dale-harriet said...

1. You might want to rethink zucchini (or talk to CAP first);
2. I have the best Victory Garden story EVAR - I'll e-mail it to you rather than take up blogcomment space. Suffice it to say, it's an old Hippie-in-Minneapolis story.
3. We're just now coming slowly up from a record-breaking freeze; even the WORD "garden" is refreshing! (Would you believe -20 degrees for TRUE? - as in, "not the windchill"?)

Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Garden is nice, but I'm stuck on the mani/pedi/lube. :) Thanks for the giggle!

Blogger Faith said...

Well, MG - all of my money for any mani/pedi is going straight to the serger repair guy. Hence my serger getting a mani/pedi rather than me!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - my name is Ilana and I saw your comment on Hasidic Feminist about support/cards.

I followed the link to your profile

and,

lo and behold

a fellow Auntie Mame, The Women and All About Eve fan!

About me: jewish, married, miserable and stuck.

4 teenage children, married

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - my name is Ilana and I saw your comment on Hasidic Feminist about support/cards.

I followed the link to your profile

and,

lo and behold

a fellow Auntie Mame, The Women and All About Eve fan!

About me: jewish, married, miserable and stuck.

4 teenage children, married

Blogger Faith said...

Hey Wife - glad you found me! I'm sorry you're stuck. Stick around here - I'm predicting a good year.

Post a Comment

<< Home