Wednesday, April 19, 2006
My Peeps and Jews
Hey. Sorry. Really - I am. I've been a total loser with this blog. I keep it up for a while and then, something happens...it sounds like a damn diet.

Not that I don't like blogging. I like it a hell of a lot more than I like denying myself chocolate chip cookies, but there's the expectation that I have that I'll be brilliant. And some days people, I'm not feeling so brilliant.

Unlike this blogger chick who has documented her experiment with Peeps. I know there have been a few Peeps blogs, I just thought, this one is freakin' fabulous. Imagine that much sugar....

Anyway, I stayed away from the Peeps this Easter season (because it's all about the marshmallows!) and this morning, I finally managed to join the 24 hour fitness (or fatness as one of my dear friends likes to say). The gym is in my damn office building so it's not like I have to go out of my way to get there.

I also bought a pedometer yesterday and have been using it all day. 4,100 steps so far today - only 5,900 to go...shit.

Anyway, New York was a blast. I can't put proof up right now - work and downloading photos...y'all know. Anyway, Michael and I had a great time. We went to the Empire State Building and to Ellis Island and to the house Michael grew up in on Long Island. Without M, I ventured out to The Strand bookstore (18 miles of books), ABC Carpet and Home (heaven on earth) and Stitch n' Bitch NYC which was a blast.

By the way, who knew there were so many Jews in New York? Certainly not me. I grew up in L.A., we have us some Jews.

I went to Camp Ramah and Camp Tinokim and Camp Shelanu and Dor Hadash and Havurat Noar and various and sundry other Jew kid haunts.

Damn though, that was nothing compared to NYC. In LA I am usually I am one of 2-5 Jews at any given Stitch n' Bitch. In NY, it was all about what everyone was making for Pesach and how they had to do Bedikat chametz (searching for every last little crumb of bread in the house and getting rid of it, traditionally by selling it to someone non-Jewish and then buying it back when Passover's over), and the whole thing about Kitniyos (beans - a common Passover drama - though not in my house where we eat any old thing).

I guess I'm a lot more amazed than I thought I'd be. First, it's not like I've never been to New York before. I have. And it's not like I'm not surrounded by the Jews. In fact, I work in Kosher canyon I am surrounded by Congregation Mogen David, the Orthodox Union, some Yeshiva (a boys high school) and the Simon Wiesenthal Center. I see Jew people. I am Jew people. I guess I was feeling my roots.

Anyway, I did get some knitting/crocheting done in NY and since I've been back, which is a good thing since between M's not so secret gift, Shannon's Ace and Sara's Figgy and everyone else and their uteri trying to get knocked up, I've got some work to do.

Love y'all.

Labels:

Stumble It!


5 Comments:

Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

welcome back!!!

new york certainly does have jews!

Blogger Jen said...

by work, you mean crocheting for people's babies, not working on getting knocked up, right?

Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

:) I may not be one of the chose people, but I do have on good authority that there are Jews, and then there are NEW YAWK JEWS. They're like regular Jews, but more so.

Welcome back.

Blogger Uccellina said...

My grandmother still lives in a co-op on the Lower East Side, a block from Kossar's Bialy's. It doesn't get more Jewish than that.

(She is also two blocks from Toys in Babeland. Go see Grandma, then buy a vibrator. That used to be my routine.)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely just crocheting/knitting for opb's as I am not planning on getting knocked up myself. If, by chance, I do get knocked up, y'all can expect that I will no longer be an atheist.

Post a Comment

<< Home