Monday, June 18, 2007
I love Kaiser
Say what you will about Kaiser Permanente. I will say to you naysayers that every hospital in this country has been sued at least once, there are bad apples in every bunch and even the good apples have bad days. Frankly, I love Kaiser. Here's why:
  • I was born at Kaiser and have never had any other insurance.
  • Growing up I had severe asthma involving a period of 5 hospitalizations and weekly (no exaggeration) races to the emergency room as I turned blue in the backseat. Also, one episode of scarlet fever, one episode of anaphylactic shock and many, many broken bones
  • As an adult, I have been diagnosed (correctly) with polycystic ovarian syndrome before anyone really knew about it and I have been treated for bulimia, gallbladder disease and had a technically perfect breast reduction surgery of which you cannot even see the scars.
  • Although I have had my fair share of doctors, nurses, social workers and others with heads firmly planted in asses, most of my experiences have been exceptional.
  • I have the best therapy team in the entire world.
  • My physician is awesome and makes me feel so incredibly comfortable even though I really, really hate doctor's appointments.
Today I went in for some blood work. I knew over the last couple of months, Kaiser was transitioning to a paperless program. This has resulted in far fewer reams of paper for each of my therapy appointments but otherwise, I hadn't really benefited from the program.

This morning I rolled over at 7 a.m. and called Kaiser for a "same day appointment". Although my physician was not available, there was an appointment with someone else at 8:20 a.m. I arrived at 8:05. I was seen at 8:15 by a completely competent guy who listened to me. On my way out, he gave me his card in case I had any questions or had another episode. I went downstairs and waited in line for the phlebotomist and was in my car by 9:30. I got to work at about 10 a.m. When I checked my email, I had a message from Kaiser Permanente. I logged in to find my first set of results (completely normal). Throughout the day, as more labs have come in, I am able to go on and check my results.

I love Kaiser.

By the way, I love the fainting girl picture! I think it looks a little like me.

Labels:

Stumble It!


3 Comments:

Blogger Laurie Ann said...

That's awesome. Maybe I'll rethink the whole Kaiser thing in the future. I've only heard the bad things.

I hope everything remains normal.

Blogger Orangeblossoms said...

I am glad to hear a good Kaiser story. I can tell you about a dozen terrible ones from the POV of a resident who worked there to a pastor who only visits people who die there.

Also, glad you bloodwork is normal.

Always glad of that!

Blogger Viva Scrapper! said...

I love Kaiser...allthough they perscribe the Heavy Duty pain killers a bit too freely...Like 40 Vicodin for a case of Strep throat when the real pain would probably be gone in 3 days.

Post a Comment

<< Home