Tuesday, March 18, 2008
Knitting gets into the act
Imagine this.

Barely able to keep himself aloft - a fat butterfly. This butterfly is so fat that every time he lands on a flower, he kills it.

Poor thin, graceful flowers.

Stupid, shameless fat butterfly. Go on a diet.

This is the latest pattern from Mochimochiland.

I love the Mochimochi patterns. Tubby and the raincloud are just adorable and there are no judgments about the size of the raincloud. There is no commentary on the width of the tub.

While a fat butterfly would have been fine, the need to make the dead flowers along with the pattern, the reckless killing of the flowers with it's enormous heft, which I'm sure is "just a joke" is just uncalled for.

Fat - in and of itself is not unhealthy. Take a look at this article for more information.

Every day, those of us with eating disorders fight an internal voice that tells us that any amount of fat is disgusting. It is a symbol of our laziness, our inability to control ourselves and our desires and so we starve ourselves, we throw up every ounce of nutrition we take in, in order to make ourselves societally acceptable.

Another, "just a joke", I saw recently was Robot Chicken's "rape ghost" skit. You know, the one where the "rape ghost" won't rape the fat girl. Cause she's fat - get it? Which is disgusting. I mean, who would want to commit sexual violence on someone who was disgusting? Funny on multiple levels, I know.

Because in our society, fat equals stupid, unhealthy, lazy people, lolling around on couches stuffing their faces with Twinkies and Snickers bars and if they would just get off the couch, eat a vegetable and walk around the block they'd be socially acceptable (and rape-able, I suppose). But for god's sake, if you choose to stay fat, don't sit on anyone - you might kill them. And then it's ok to make fun of you.

That's not how it works. But that's the message that we hear, isn't it?

Labels: ,

Stumble It!


3 Comments:

Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Firstly, I *love* mochimoland, and have been reading her blog for ages. HOWEVER, I can understand the point you are making, and I could not agree with you more. I think the comment you left was spot-on without being snarky at all.

It is really an up-hill struggle you're waging, Sisyphus, but I admire you all the more for it.

Blogger Arianne said...

I've been struggling for an eating disorder for many years. (Just admitting that is a big step, believe me.) Recently a lot of the progress I'd made towards being healthy has been erased by a really bad period...Problems in my relationship and my own views on my self-worth have lead me down the roads I know all too well. Lately the struggle is mammoth.
I saw the post about "Butterfull" when it appeared on the MochiMochiLand blog. I especially took in the butterfly's sweat band on its forehead. And all I could think was "I kill flowers."
Then I felt stupid for being so affected by a knitting pattern. Then I felt guilty for thinking these things. Etc. etc.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is so affected by these messages, even as a joke, that we find in society today.

There was a movie on the other night, perhaps you've seen it? I fell asleep during one movie and woke up to find "Shallow Hal" was playing.

When I'm not doing well in myself, when the struggle with my eating disorder is at its worst things like that really get to me. I feel like I'm overly sensitive...but I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees these things, these "jokes" these attempts at "comedy" at the expense of people who are overweight, as completely un-funny and unacceptable.

I'm probably not articulating myself well. I just agree with you.

Blogger Faith said...

Dear MG and Arianne -

Thank you so much for your comments. This was a hard post to write because I am sure someone out there (actually many people) believe I am too sensitive - but I had to write it. I have to say this. For all of us who struggle.

Arianne. The progress you made has not been erased. Recovery is not linear and every step, even those going "backwards" are opportunities. Don't give up hon. Don't give up!

Love,
Faith

Post a Comment

<< Home