Thursday, November 13, 2008
Civil Rights and Boycotts
I feel the need to make some points.

1. Free speech:

Free speech is our right in this country. The 52% of Californians who voted yes on 8 had every right to do that were within their rights to cast a vote given that the amendment was legally placed on the ballot. I don't deny that they have this right, nor do I wish for that right to be taken away from them. The legality of the amendment in itself is the issue here.

I also have the right to not economically participate in the economy that gave them the money to win that vote. In addition, their right to boycott any companies that spent money on the No on 8 side is free to them. In fact, here's a link. Feel free to boycott all Apple products, throw away your Levi's, all films by Brad Pitt. I am entirely serious. Our money is our vote as is yours.

Meanwhile, I will continue to boycott the two companies that affect me, El Pollo Loco (those owned by WKS Restaurant Corp.), the Manchester Hotels and HiTorque publications.

2. Separate but equal

From a comment on Eater L.A.

"Even Elton John stated and rightly so that you have the same rights under a civil union as you do under marriage. Perhaps there are some nuances-not a bid [sic] deal. Why do you want marriage so badly--why?? Why do you so badly need the approval of society[?]"
I've been reading a lot of this in comments on posts about Prop 8. Usually the comments involve references to recruiting children, assholes, limp wrists and purses. This comment did, I just chose to snip those parts out. I know I'm mostly preaching to a choir here, but I have to point out that the same rights are actually not granted under a civil union. Also, the approval of society is not important. If it was, marching in the streets wouldn't be the way to get it. Conforming would be -- and no one is doing that. What queers want is not to conform but to have EQUAL RIGHTS. No more. No less.

Here's what happens when we're not granted EQUALITY. Please read this first hand account.

Also, just because Elton says something, doesn't mean it is so. He's a song writer. He's great at raising money to fight HIV. He may not be the most politically savvy or best spokesperson for teh gayz.

Just sayin'.

Labels: , , ,

Stumble It!


10 Comments:

Blogger epigirl said...

I read your blog regularly, although I have not commented frequently. Hi!

I would love to hear your thoughts on the distinction between a civil union and marriage. I am actually totally against Prop 8 and I applaud your efforts and those of the gay community in general to protest its passing in CA. I would just like to be a little more educated on the issue and this entry made me realize that I don't understand it as well as I thought.

Are the legal rights different between a civil union and a marriage? Or is it just that civil union is, technically, not marriage and, therefore, is something like that picture above?

Blogger Gwen said...

1. Marriage is considered a basic human right according to the UN Universal declaration of human rights.

2. Separate but equal is not equal -- civil unions are the contemporary equivalent of making black people have separate restrooms.

(3. I wish I didn't have to use my gmail account to post a comment, because it never works right.)

Blogger Faith said...

Epigirl - I tried to write a comment but it's turning into a very long post. I'll try to have it up by 3 p.m. Thanks for the question though!

Blogger Uccellina said...

I just wanted to say I am following your posts and thank you for writing about all of this so forcefully and eloquently.

Blogger Gwen said...

p.s. I hadn't waited for the cartoon to load when I commented, so now I feel sheepish.

Blogger Unknown said...

I have to strongly disagree when you write, "The 52% of Californians who voted yes on 8 had every right to do that."
The electorate does not have the right to limit the rights of others. In passing Prop 8, the electorate overstepped it's right to amend the constitution and, in fact, re-wrote the equal-protection clause - something which requires the legislature to be involved in drafting the revision before going to the voters. This is the basis of the challenge to Prop8.
Sure Prop8 supporters have the right to voice their anti-gay opinions but to actually take action that hinders the rights and equality of others, that is where their rights end.

Blogger Faith said...

Agreed m.r. in LA - what I meant was that they have the right to cast their vote - I'm under the impression that the whole idea of amending the constitution in this way is unconstitutional.

I'm amending as I type.

Blogger Unknown said...

Faith, the EQUALITY link in #2 isn't working.

Thanks for fighting the good fight.

Blogger Allison said...

Thanks for keeping us updated with the national companies, even us former CA voters who want to help the good fight.

You know my favorite saying: your dollar is your vote!

Blogger twinsetellen said...

I think gays should have civil unions. But wait, I also think heterosexuals should have civil unions. Marriage was originally a religious construct and I think we'd all be better off if it were returned to purely religious significance, with only civil unions recognized legally. Repurposing marriage for governmental convenience may have worked when government was, in fact, run by the church, but aren't we supposed to separate church and state here in the U.S.A.?

Post a Comment

<< Home