Sunday, July 31, 2005
You're maudlin and full of self-pity. You're magnificent!
OK - so I had to go to A Mano (one of the best yarn stores in Los Angeles) to pick up some yarn because I ran out just as I was ending my project (of course). So I drove to Venice on Saturday and they had just what I needed! One gorgeous hank of UNIKAT by Skakel. So so beautiful. I am in love with this yarn. I want to design new colorways for this yarn.

Anyway, on my way home from A Mano, my car stopped at a store that I have been eyeing for many a month. It is called Beautilities and it has certainly been on Venice Blvd for over 50 years.
First off, this is a brilliant name. Beautilities - beauty and utility all packed into one store.
Second, there was a big sign out front that said WIG SALE and
Third, there was a parking space right in front.

I did not have to tell my car to pull over, it knows what I want. It didn't even ask, just pulled right over in the middle of Venice Blvd.

I love wigs. It is one of my secret loves because until now I would wear wigs at appropriate occasions (which does not happen nearly as often as I would like). Now with the whole "living out loud" project (heretofore known as the LOLP), I bought a wig, just to wear whenever the hell I feel like it! Amazing how stifled I have been my entire freaking life.

Picture this scene. I walk into Beautilities. It is slightly warm and the warehouse sized store is overstuffed with costumes, makeup, and up front, racks and racks of wigs. From the back, a man I now know to be Rick came up and asked if I needed some help. I said I needed a wig. He asked what it was for, I told him, it was to wear. We tried curly ones and long ones, and most of those looked hideous on me. Then Rick brought out the Eve #130. It was hot. Rick thought it looked hot and I thought it looked hot. Just for kicks I tried on the Cindy #130 but no, it was all about Eve.

(by the way - my title today, just in case you're not a big queen, was one of the billions of brilliant lines in All About Eve - this particular one spoken by Addison DeWitt - played by George Sanders).

So here's Rick - he's a total mensch (that's a good thing to be for you readers who happen to not be Jewish, from New York or LA). He also let me know that he totally appreciates the chicks in the new Dove ads and thinks I'm sexy. That was before he knew that I was a married lesbian - and really, how would he know!?!?! It's not like I have a big tattoo across my chest saying Dyke married to Fag...Although I've thought about it...anyway, he's apologized profusely and totally unnecessarily for assuming something or another...

Anyway, Rick is a really sweet and patient guy. He should not be single. He also likes chicks who wear glasses - as do I! This is something Rick and I have in common.

And now for two assignments:

If you need a wig or costume for any reason, I totally recommend Beautilities. Rick is way nicer than anyone has ever been at Hollywood Toy & Costume. Trust me on this one.

If you haven't rented All About Eve in a while, I highly recommend it and if you find a copy of The Women on DVD, buy it for me. I'll pay you back. Promise!!! Have a great week y'all!

P.S. I don't quite have a hot pic of myself in the Eve #130 yet. When I do, I'll put it up.

Labels:

Stumble It!


2 Comments:

Blogger Christie said...

Wigs are the best...and I hate those freakin' people up a Hollywood Toy and Costume. I said I was looking for a Beyonce-esque wig, and this huge queen said he didn't know who she was. HMPF!!!

Can't wait to see Miss Eve!!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wigs rule! Can't wait to see yours! Wear it on Thursday to the WeHo SnB!!!

e

Post a Comment

<< Home