Thursday, August 04, 2005
Starved
OK - did anyone see the L.A. Times article yesterday on the new FX sitcom (yes, I said sitcom) about four people living together who all have eating disorders? It's called Starved. Zoinks. Firstly, I can't imagine living with three other people with EDs. Can you say trigger??? Really, do we need this...
"Oh, I'm so fat!"
"No, I'm so fat!"
"I'm going to throw up!"
"I called the bathroom first! You throw up in the sink!"

Now for this commercial break - Cue Paris Hilton humping a Bentley while holding a 950 calorie hamburger.
Snort!!!

Second, I had heard about it but had not yet made any firm opinions about it because...well, I'm just not like that - all forming opinions before knowing anything about what I'm talking about. Well, I have formed an opinion. Let's just say, I'm not really thrilled.

First off, some basic stats:
7 million women in the U.S. struggle with an eating disorder (ANAD/NIMH)
1 million men in the U.S. struggle with an eating disorder (ANAD/NIMH)

Seven to one people. Why do I bring this up? In this house on Starved, there are three men and one woman. I guess it's easier or not as sad to show men throwing up or starving or eating themselves to death as it is to show women. Frankly, I'm not sure I get it.

Also, how boring is my eating disorder. I don't talk about it much because it bores the hell out of me most of the time. I'm in recovery and frankly I've learned there that we should all be talking about a lot more than how many calories or points we ate today, how much we left on our plates, how hungry we are because we restricted all morning. BORING!!! There is so much more to life than this! My time could be better spent talking about just about anything else.

I can laugh at it sometimes ...Heathers and various other teen movies have all made us laugh about it but really--Do we need a weekly sitcom? I guess I'll watch. I think it airs tonight.

Loving y'all...

Labels:

Stumble It!


2 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

Interesting to read your perspective on this. Unlike you, I'm quick to judge TV shows! I was kind of horrified that they'd make a show about people with eating disorders. And a sitcom at that. Also, how much original content can you extract from this concept? It's not like Monk where he's also a detective and you weave the disorder into the storyline. Or maybe I'm missing something. Anyway, Law & Order is probably on at that time.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOh! I like Supercrafty's idea. What if the people with eating disorders also solved crime?!?! Oh yeah, and one of them is psychic and another one is really really smart, and one has a glass eye and they wear crazy jumpsuits and occasionally burst into song. FAST! Someone call FOX and let them know I have a show for them.

I'm hoping to come to the garage sale. I'm looking forward to seeing you. I've been busy and out of town but now I'm back and engaged. yes, engaged. give a call!

Post a Comment

<< Home